Sunday, October 4, 2009

"W" is for Down Syndrome

Wonder

So it's Sunday evening as I sit down to write this and as I think of the theme that I decided to start off my 31-for-21 for, it brings me to the 'w' in Down syndrome. When I think of this, it brings to 'wonder'. Sure, in life, there's always lots of wondering--maybe sometimes too much wondering. For some time now I've been wondering how Reagan (12) and Jacob (closing in on 10) will do in life. They are such wonderful children, full of amazing talents and lots of questions.

It's been so amazing seeing them blossom into the children they've become so far. But I can't help but wonder what the next few years will bring. What activities will they continue to participate in. Will they continue to excel in school? Will they figure out what they want to become in life? Lots and lots of wondering. Seeing how they've grown in the past few years, I really think that they will continue to make very good choices. I find comfort in knowing that they are heading down the path to success--to achieving the goals that they have already set and those that are still yet to be planned.

That then brings me to 'wonder' about my little Camden Grace. Sure she's only a little over 3 months, so she still has plenty of time ahead of her. But I can't help but wonder how she will do in life. We've been so lucky so far with Camden's health--no major heart, hearing, sight, etc. problems. She's really doing well and I truly feel blessed that she's been so healthy so far, as I know that plenty of children with Ds struggle with various medical issues. But even though she's been healthy, I kept help but wonder how she will continue to progress. We are being proactive and have already lined up early intervention services, which I truly believe will be helpful for her continued growth and success.

But I also know that we live in a cruel, cruel world at times and I wonder how many times Camden will face difficulties because of people's cruelty. I know I can't protect her at all times, but I hope that Jenny and I can instill enough positive reinforcement, love, and support that when she does run into a negative issue, she can handle the hurt and pain that come with it.

It's not a question of if this will happen, but a question of when and how many times. And at those times, I will have to remind myself not to go knock someones block off for what they said or did to Camden. But rather show Camden by example, that even in the darkest hour, when we are hurting so deeply, that turning to our family for their continued love and support and talking through what is affecting us, will help us to be able to work through the negativity and grow stronger.

Yes, I wonder lots and lots...and I'm sure as our guys continue to grow, I will even wonder more....

No comments:

Post a Comment